A Broad View of School Orchestra Programs
We have recently begun an internal analysis of orchestral program presence, surrounding one question:
“What is the difference between schools that have string programs, and schools that do not have string programs?“
There’s actually a lot to be learned by asking this simple question. MTD has created a basic interactive analysis of 9 – 12, and 6 – 8 schools which seeks to provide answers. Use the dashboard below to start exploring!
**Note – You can select combinations of states by using Control-Click on Windows, or Command-Click on Mac. You can also filter by grade span, and/or public/private schools**
*Please note – the interactive application below is best viewed on larger screens and may be difficult to interact with on mobile devices.*
A few things you may notice…
- Public schools have higher concentrations of string programs than private schools
- Schools in wealthier communities are much more likely to have string programs
- Larger schools are more likely to have string programs
- Middle schools have higher concentrations of string programs than high schools
- Aside from Utah and Nevada, the highest concentration of string programs is in the Northeast
What other patterns can you extrapolate from the data?
Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to share to your social sites!