A Broad View of School Orchestra Programs
We have recently begun an internal analysis of orchestral program presence, surrounding one question:
“What is the difference between schools that have string programs, and schools that do not have string programs?“
There’s actually a lot to be learned by asking this simple question. MTD has created a basic interactive analysis of 9 – 12, and 6 – 8 schools which seeks to provide answers. Use the dashboard below to start exploring!
**Note – You can select combinations of states by using Control-Click on Windows, or Command-Click on Mac. You can also filter by grade span, and/or public/private schools**
*Please note – the interactive application below is best viewed on larger screens and may be difficult to interact with on mobile devices.*
A few things you may notice…
- Public schools have higher concentrations of string programs than private schools
- Schools in wealthier communities are much more likely to have string programs
- Larger schools are more likely to have string programs
- Middle schools have higher concentrations of string programs than high schools
- Aside from Utah and Nevada, the highest concentration of string programs is in the Northeast
What other patterns can you extrapolate from the data?